Everything You Need to Know About Terry Urban (Exclusive Interview)
New York, N.Y. -- Yesterday, The DJBooth unleashed the latest entry in Best of the Booth, a mixtape series in which prominent DJs sift through each month's features and present the picks of the litter for your listening pleasure. For Voume 8, which spotlights the top records to hit our frontpage in October, we called upon internationally-known club and mixtape DJ Terry Urban. Born in Cleveland and currently based in NYC, Urban's achievements span several disciplines--in addition to hosting Sirius Radio's Press Play Show with longtime partner Mick Boogie, hosting and producing critically-acclaimed tapes for the best and brightest up-and-comers in the game and rocking club dancefloors around the globe, he boasts a background in skating (he had a stint as a semi-pro), visual art and graffiti.
Now that the project is bumping through your speakers, we thought we'd give you a closer look at the man behind the mix. In the Booth-exclusive interview below, Terry Urban discusses the surprising setting for his first gig, whose music has been in his headphones lately and what's on his agenda for the bottom of 2011.
How did you get into DJing?
My dad bought me "DJ In A Box" one year for Christmas [laughs].
Where was your first gig/show?
Believe it or not, my first gig was in a huge arena opening up for 98 Degrees. I won't go into detail. I can't believe I even told you that.
What makes your job so enjoyable?
Dude, I get paid to do what I love!
How did you go about selecting records for the Best of the Booth mix?
Easy, I picked records that sound good to me.
Name a few new artists who have really caught your ear as of late.
I've been listening to a lot of Mayer Hawthorne's new album recently.
What do you have coming up in the next few months, which people should be on the look out for?
I've been focused on DJing a lot right now in different cities. I'm also touring w/ Stalley as his DJ so be on the lookout for a show near you. Oh and I have an all new terryurban.com coming soon!
What is the best way for people to find out more about you and your goings on?
Terryurban.com and @terryurban
Written by richard on 11/4/11
You Might Like...
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.