SXSW Long Days and Longer Nights
Oddly enough, as the days have progressed during my stay in Austin my nights (sleeping-wise) have been reduced. Not too odd after all right? Anyways, Day 3 (Friday) has left me extremely exhausted as I write this on the morning of Day 4 (Saturday). I guess that's what happens when you get back to the hotel at 6:30am and wake up at 9:30 (I just can't sleep late).
Anyways, I actually forgot how yesterday started. However, I remember getting to The Rising presenting by none other than DJBooth.net and 2Dopeboyz. The first act I peeped there was North Carolina's own King Mez, and homie definitely performed his duties as an emcee. Throughout the afternoon I came and went (for refills..on food), but was able to catch Freeway towards the end of the show. The Philadelphia Freezer tore the stage down as he went through various hits from his catalog.
I also stopped by the Fader Fort (you're thinking "again??") and caught hip hop's most talked about guys of the moment, Odd Future, who had an interesting performance. I say "interesting" because I can't really define it. Nothing further on that.
After that was done, I actually didn't check out any hip hop acts (late evening that is), instead settling for a rock band with a friend. Not my usual cup of tea, but a scenery change is nice.
Taking it easy today, since I'll be driving 8 hours home tomorrow, but if you suggest any shows hit me @itsivanibarra and maybe I can write about them tomorrow morning.
ALSO, one show I definitely want to see tonight at the Fader Fort is none other than Lil B the Based God himself. Cook.
Kanye and G.O.O.D. Music have their showcase tonight by Vevo, so if you are able to get into that, enjoy!
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 03/19/11
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.