Soulja Boy Makes History, New Single “Yahhh!” Premieres
SANTA MONICA, CA – January 9, 2008 – The first artist to rack up 3,000,000 downloads of a digital track/song is a teenager! "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" from 17-year-old rap phenom Soulja Boy Tell'em officially surpassed the landmark number this week.
Grammy nominated for Best Rap Song and the #1 song on the Hot 100 chart for seven weeks, "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" has also sold more than 3,000,000 ringtones and its music video has been viewed an incredible 28,000,000 times on YouTube. In addition, the instructional dance video has been viewed 22,000,000 times and the video for the single "Soulja Girl" (featuring I-15) 11,000,000 times. Not surprisingly then, his website is also the #1 most viewed artist site on the Web, with more than 1,000,000 unique hits per month. His MySpace page has recorded 27,000,000 profile views and 31,000,000 audio streams. The charismatic Souljaboy is also being seen on cellphones worldwide via Soulja Boy TV (SBTV), a free mobile television WAP site.
"Soulja Boy has set the bar for what's possible in terms of breaking an artist online," commented Steve Berman, President of Sales and Marketing for Interscope Geffen A&M Records. "He's been doing it since day one, before he was signed here, so I'm not surprised he's setting a record today. Soulja Boy is out there on the frontier, showing everyone else what's possible."
"I can't thank my fans enough, without them all of this wouldn't have been possible. The support they give me is beyond incredible. I have so many Soulja Boy Tell'em projects ready and I will continue to give them what they need in 2008. Yuuuuaaaa!!" exclaims Soulja Boy Tell'em.
With his debut album, Souljaboytellem.com (ColliPark Music/Interscope Records), rocketing past its gold certification--having sold more than 658,000 copies to date--Soulja Boy is the biggest selling new hip-hop or R&B artist of 2007.
But he's not stopping there. Kicking off 2008, his video for the album's third single, "Yahhh!" (featuring Arab), premiered this week on BET's "Access Granted" and on Yahoo! Music. The behind-the-scenes feature on "Yahhh!" has already been viewed 1,200,000 times on YouTube.
The story of Soulja Boy Tell'em has just begun.
Written by DJ Z on 01/14/08
You Might Like...
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.