Catching Up With Solange Via the “Saint Heron” EP
True story. A few months back I was checking for new concerts and saw that Solange was going to be in the area. A day before the show, I drove all the way to the venue only to find out the show was sold out. Downer. Fear not friends, there was a silver lining to this tragic tale; it got me back into her 2012 EP True. I had listened to it a little bit here and there but never really gave it a big listen. Foolish of me because I came to realize it's excellent.
It must be frustrating to be Beyonce's sister, but honestly, I don't even think of them as musical sisters because Solange's music is so different. Where Beyonce is more of a pop star, Solange's style is more R&B rooted (with a splash of new wave) and definitely has some vintage, funk undertones. I think my favorite song off the EP is Lovers In The Parking Lot. It is creative, glossy and has a strong throwback vibe. The visuals are dope too; she always has cool videos and they feature one of hip-hop's most respected southern emcees.
It has been a minute since we have heard from her, but that doesn't mean she is going unappreciated. Solange has recently joined forces with some of the new generation of R&B stars including Cassie, Sampha and Jhene Aiko, for a compilation EP entitled, Saint Heron. What makes this so special is that all of these artists are looking to redefine the way in which we define R&B. They all have something unique and different about them and by joining forces they will prove that their version of R&B is more than just pianos and break up songs. Excited for the album? Me too! You can preview a few of the cuts via Pepsi Pulse and be sure to keep Solange on your radar for 2014.
Written by Lucas G. on 12/11/13
You Might Like...
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.