Russell Simmons to Host UNICEF’s 2007 New York Snowflake Lighting
New York, NY -- Today, the U.S. Fund for UNICEF announced that Russell Simmons will host the annual UNICEF Snowflake Lighting ceremony, taking place on Saturday, November 17, at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and 57th Street in front of Tiffany & Co. A strong supporter of UNICEF and Chairman & CEO of Rush Communications, Simmons is known as a "hip-hop pioneer" for his groundbreaking vision that has influenced music, fashion, finance, television and film, as well as the face of modern philanthropy. Honoring the spirit of giving, Tiffany & Co. and Hallmark Cards, Inc. will sponsor the 2007 UNICEF Snowflake Lighting. The UNICEF Snowflake tradition continues with a similar lighting ceremony, also on November 17, in Beverly Hills at the intersection of Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Boulevard.
The evening's celebration will begin with a festive recital by the Brooklyn Youth Chorus at 6:30 PM, followed by the lighting ceremony where Russell Simmons and the UNICEF/Pier 1 greeting card contest winners will take the stage and flip the switch to illuminate the UNICEF Snowflake. Existing as a beacon of hope, peace, and compassion for children around the world since 1985, the UNICEF Snowflake has become an iconic fixture in New York City during the holiday season. It was handcrafted by German lighting designer Ingo Maurer and is adorned with 16,000 Baccarat crystal prisms. At 23 feet in diameter, over 28 feet in height and weighing 3,300 pounds, the UNICEF Snowflake is the largest outdoor chandelier of its kind.
Onlookers will enjoy music and hot chocolate while watching the magnificent UNICEF Snowflake light up, signifying the beginning of the gift- giving season across the globe. Adding to the excitement of the show this year, Tiffany & Co. will unveil their much-anticipated holiday windows. Showing support of UNICEF's mission to save children's lives worldwide, the Tiffany & Co. windows' theme will be inspired by the UNICEF Snowflake. Continuing their support of UNICEF's mission, Tiffany & Co. has designed an exquisite sterling silver Tiffany Snowflake Charm with 25% of the retail sales price of all charms sold between November 17 and December 31 at Tiffany's nine New York region stores benefiting the U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
Written by DJ Z on 11/16/07
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.