Rihanna Nets RIAA Gold for Sophomore Release!
New York, NY -- A GIRL LIKE ME, the brand new second album by Def Jam recording artist Rihanna, featuring the back-to-back Top 10 singles “S.O.S.” and “Unfaithful,” has catapulted past RIAA gold for U.S. sales in excess of 500,000 units.
The news opens up a busy week for the beautiful young Barbados native, who will be a special guest host for MTV on the Red Carpet during the Pre-Show for the MTV Movie Awards airing Thursday, June 8th. Later that evening, Rihanna will perform “Unfaithful” on NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Rihanna is also confirmed to perform three songs on July 21st for NBC’s Today Show outdoor summer concert series.
Both of Rihanna’s singles continue to hold strong this week inside the Top 10 on the Billboard Mainstream Top 40 Monitor, with “S.O.S.” at #4 and “Unfaithful” at #9. “S.O.S.” has logged more than 600,000 iTunes downloads to date since its release and “Unfaithful” (co-written by Def Jam label mate Ne-Yo and produced by Stargate) has logged over 200,000 scans. To date, “S.O.S.” has sold over 400,000 ringtones.
On the video side, “S.O.S.” has been viewed over 15 million times on AOL.com. Rihanna is now the #1 most-searched music artist on AOL Top 40 searches. “Unfaithful”, directed by Anthony Mandler followed “S.O.S.” to the #1 spot on MTV’s TRL Countdown last week.
A GIRL LIKE ME is the follow-up to Rihanna’s RIAA gold debut album of last year, Music Of the Sun, which featured her #1 Dance hit “Pon De Replay,” a traffic-stopper in the U.S. and Europe that was certified a triple-platinum digital download by the RIAA. With its infectious taste of “Tainted Love” (the Soft Cell classic), “S.O.S.” is Rihanna’s second worldwide phenomenon – hitting #1 on numerous international charts including Canada and Japan.
Written by DJ Z on 06/6/06
You Might Like...
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.