Rick Ross Rakes In Top Honors for the City of Miami Gardens
Miami, FL – Trick Daddy may love the kids but so does Rick Ross. In the midst of recording his sophomore album, Trilla, Slip-N-Slide/Def Jam Recording artists Rick Ross took time out of his busy schedule to give back to his community by appearing in an anti-litter PSA for his hometown, the City of Miami Gardens, formerly known as Carol City. The PSA was shot at Andover Park, a quaint playground in a residential district of The City of Miami Gardens. Thrilled with the finished product, the City of Miami Gardens entered the PSA in the National Keep America Beautiful, Inc. (KAB) Rogers' Public Service Announcement (PSA) Contest. The winning commercial, the Rick Ross PSA -official title- "The Kids in the Park" won hands down over cities like Jacksonville, FL and Columbus, SC.
The Keep America Beautiful National Conference is being held in Washington, DC from Dec 5 – 8. The city of Miami Gardens will claim their top honors at the KAB Awards Banquet on Saturday, December 8, 2007.
According to Keep Miami Gardens Beautiful Director, Tsahai Codner, "We are particularly proud because our city competed against these larger cities, which have greater resources and we came out victorious. It's a simple testimony of the level of commitment of our staff and the solid work they put in day in and day out to foster a positive community environment. We especially thank Rick Ross for adding his star power to the ad. Public Service Announcements are an excellent way to educate the public about issues affecting their community, and they also motivate people to get involved and make a difference,"
Wills Felin, Managing Partner/Creative Director of Major Minerz Film and Video Production Company states, "When we were asked to create this project, we immediately came up with a tagline that kids could identify with - "If You Rep The Block, Respect The Block". The city had a few athletes and celebrities in mind, however, we strongly felt, the spokesperson for this PSA should be someone the kids in the community could relate to; Rick Ross is definitely that person. He takes pride in his community and reps it to the fullest". Felin goes on to say, "Indeed Rick Ross continues to support his community through a variety of programs facilitated through his philanthropy organization, Rick Ross Charities Inc. Hopefully the success of this spot will enable us to kick off a national "Rep The Block…campaign in urban cities across America
The winning PSA featuring Miami Gardens' own celebrity rapper Rick Ross is currently playing in selected theaters and will begin playing on TV in mid December. To view the winning PSA, logon to miamigardens.fl.gov or youtube.com/watch?v=H-vcU1gCbxc.
Written by DJ Z on 12/6/07
You Might Like...
- Indie Artist Mistakes: Don’t Hire a Bad Manager (#FVHHC Ticket Giveaway!)
- Win Tickets to The Smokers Club’s World Wide Rollers Tour [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win a Limited Edition Vinyl Copy of Gang Starr’s “Daily Operation” [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- MajorStage Presents: Denzil Porter Live in NYC (Powered by The DJBooth)
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.