Re-Produced Profile: King I Divine [DJBooth Interview Exclusive]
This week, The DJBooth will be kicking off Re-Produced, an exclusive EP series in which three hand-picked producers will put their own spin on a record by a reader-approved artist. The inaugural entry will be based around Do the Math, a Large Professor-produced cut off BK emcee Torae's DJBooth-sold For the Record album. In anticipation of the project's arrival later today, we're making sure each of the participating beatsmiths has been properly introduced to our readership with a series of exclusive producer profiles.
In the third and final profile, we chop it up with ATL-by-way-of-NYC beatsmith King I Divine.
Years Producing: 7 years
What tools and/or production software do you use?
Mpc1000, Reason, Logic
Head phones or monitors?
I use headphones now since my neighbors have complained way [too] many times [laughs].
What production work are you most proud thus far of in your career?
The Divine ScienZe album I released on March 13th.
What should readers expect from you in the coming months? (Projects, Singles, Albums, etc…)
I have projects with blctxt (Black Text) and LD Henriquez coming out later this year, as well as an instrumental album, so be on the look out for those.
Describe the process by which you "Re-Produced" Torae's Do The Math record?
I basically loaded up the song in Logic and vibed with the lyrics for about 30 minutes. Then I went to the crates and found a sample I felt went best with the energy of the lyrics and then went in on the record.
Listen to King I Divine's re-produced version of Torae's "Do the Math"
Written by richard on 04/19/12
You Might Like...
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.