Re-Produced Profile: Apollo Brown [DJBooth Interview Exclusive]
Next Wednesday, December 19, The DJBooth will release the latest installment of Re-Produced, an exclusive EP series in which three hand-picked producers put their own spin on a record by a reader-approved artist. Number four in the series will be based around "Fly Away," a record off Brooklyn veteran Talib Kweli's Attack the Block mixtape. In anticipation of the project's arrival, we're making sure each of the participating beatsmiths has been properly introduced to our readership with a series of exclusive producer profiles.
In the first of three profiles, we chop it up with Motown repper Apollo Brown, who recently linked up with Guilty Simpson to drop collaborative LP Dice Game. Click here to listen to Brown's remix of "Fly Away," premiered today in the Booth.
Producer Alias: Apollo Brown
Years Producing: 16
What tools and/or production software do you use?
Cool Edit 2000 and Cool Edit Pro
Head phones or monitors?
Blown stereo speakers
What production work are you most proud thus far of in your career?
Everything I've ever done.
What should readers expect from you in the coming months?
My new group, Ugly Heroes, will be releasing an album in April on Mello Music Group.
Describe the process by which you "Re-Produced" Talib's "Fly Away" record?
I wanted to provide a backdrop with some feeling that fit the vocals nicely. It's a re-produce, so I wanted the song to sound different, but still clue you in on what Talib was talking about.
Written by richard on 12/12/12
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.