Re-Produced Profile: Willie B. (of Digi+Phonics) [DJBooth Interview Exclusive]
On Wednesday, December 19, The DJBooth will release the latest installment of Re-Produced, an exclusive EP series in which three hand-picked producers put their own spin on a record by a reader-approved artist. Number four in the series will be based around "Fly Away," a record off Brooklyn veteran Talib Kweli's Attack the Block mixtape. In anticipation of the project's arrival, we're making sure each of the participating beatsmiths has been properly introduced to our readership with a series of exclusive producer profiles.
In the third and final profile, we chop it up with Willie B., the producer behind Kendrick Lamar's "Rigamortis" and ScHoolboy Q's "Gangsta in Designer." Click here to listen to Willie's re-production of "Fly Away," premiered today in the Booth.
Producer Alias: Willie B. (of Digi+Phonics)
Years Producing: 6
What tools and/or production software do you use?
FL Studio/Acid Pro 3.0/M Audio Midi Keystation
Head phones or monitors?
What production work are you most proud thus far of in your career?
"Rigamortis" by Kendrick Lamar [and] "Gangsta in Designer" by ScHoolboy Q
What should readers expect from you in the coming months?
More Top Dawg placements, a Wale record, my own rap records, and a Willie B and Freddie Gibbs collab.
Describe the process by which you "Re-Produced" Talib's "Fly Away" record?
I started off by figuring out the key the song was played in. Then [l] played alternate keys to give it more of a darker sound, as opposed to the original. Then just continued on from there...
Written by richard on 12/18/12
You Might Like...
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)