Re-Produced Profile: Shoden!1 [DJBooth Interview Exclusive]
Next Wednesday, December 19, The DJBooth will release the latest installment of Re-Produced, an exclusive EP series in which three hand-picked producers put their own spin on a record by a reader-approved artist. Number four in the series will be based around "Fly Away," a record off Brooklyn veteran Talib Kweli's Attack the Block mixtape. In anticipation of the project's arrival, we're making sure each of the participating beatsmiths has been properly introduced to our readership with a series of exclusive producer profiles.
In the second of three profiles, we chop it up with ATL native Shoden!1, the producer behind Muzi's Somnolence and Somnolence II LPs. Click here to listen to Shoden's re-production of "Fly Away," premiered today in the Booth.
Producer Alias: Shoden!1
Years Producing: 8
What tools and/or production software do you use?
Head phones or monitors?
Sony MDR 7506 & Yamaha HS 80
What production work are you most proud thus far of in your career?
My early work with Spree Wilson that helped define his sound, The Neverending Now and Kingsh*t. As well as the two Muzi albums, Somnolence Vol. I and II, because those records really allowed me take total control of the creative direction.
What should readers expect from you in the coming months?
A[nother] new Muzi album.
Describe the process by which you "Re-Produced" Talib's "Fly Away" record?
I wanted to step away from the original a bit and make it a little darker, while at the same time maintaining the organic feel. I actually started two mixes, but eventually came back to this one because I was starting to take it way too far out.
Written by richard on 12/14/12
You Might Like...
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.