R. Kelly’s ‘Double Up’ is #1 On Charts
New York, NY -- R. Kelly’s Double Up debuts this week as the #1 selling album on both Billboard’s Top 200 and Top R&B/Hip-Hop album charts. The #1 debut of Double Up marks the highest first-week sales of the year for any R&B solo artist.
Double Up is R. Kelly’s eighth top 5 debut and his fifth #1 album as a solo artist. The smash first single “I’m A Flirt” has been burning up the charts and radio airwaves for close to 16 weeks. The follow-up single “Same Girl,” a duet with Usher, is already Top 10 at urban radio.
The critics have weighed in and Double Up has received knock out praise. Reviews include:
New York Times “…he has affirmed his position as one of the era’s greatest…”
USA Today “…vintage R Kelly…”
NY Post “…Kelly’s not only smooth enough for the ladies, but rough enough for the fellas…”
The Philadelphia Inquirer “The album provides plenty of examples of the real reason that Kelly's career continues to thrive…he keeps serving up the hot jams.”
US Weekly- “…the smooth vocals and sizzling hip-hop beats are hype-worthy.”
Washington Post “[the] microdramas are so masterfully executed that it’s easy to forget how great the music is…”
A prolific songwriter and producer R. Kelly has sold in excess of 36 million albums worldwide. Over the span of his career he has amassed several multi-platinum albums, 12 Play – (6x), R. Kelly – (5x), R. – (8x), TP-2.COM – (4x), Chocolate Factory – (2x), Happy People/U Saved Me – (3x). R. Kelly has collected multiple Grammy, American Music, Billboard and Soul Train awards and has teamed up with some of the biggest artists in the world - Celine Dion, Snoop Dogg, The Game, Young Jeezy, Ciara, and Diddy.
For Double Up R. Kelly expands his hit-making collaborative efforts and enlists a diverse roster of musical guests that includes Usher, Kid Rock, Nelly, Chamillionaire, T.I., T-Pain, Huey, Ludacris, Keyshia Cole, and Swizz Beatz. Double Up is R. Kelly’s ninth solo release since his smash solo debut 12 Play.
Written by DJ Z on 06/6/07
You Might Like...
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.