Plies Goes Platinum With Ringtone for “Shawty”
New York, NY -- Big Gates/Slip-N-Slide/Atlantic recording artist Plies has reached platinum status as his chart-topping ringtone for his smash single, "Shawty (Feat. T-Pain)," has sold over one million ringtones to date, according to Billboard's "Hot RingMasters" chart. The ringtone has been at the top of the chart for the past several weeks. What's more, the Florida-based rapper currently has seven songs from his debut album, "THE REAL TESTAMENT," on the "Hot RingMasters" chart.
Plies has also announced the official launch of BidLong.com, an online community blog that expresses the rapper's concerns regarding the prison system in this country. The site not only features updates from Plies himself, but it will also be a forum for fans to express their own feelings about incarceration and personal stories. Plies recently released a viral music video for his song "100 Years," in which he addresses the injustices that people are being faced with in courtrooms on a daily basis; from inadequate legal council and excessive sentencing, to crooked law enforcement officials. In the wake of the Jena 6 case in Louisiana, the timing of this "call to action" could not be timelier.
"I feel like the song is well needed," says Plies of "100 Years." "There hasn't been a record that I can remember over the course of the last 10 years that has touched on the system like this song."
In other news, Plies will make a couple of major TV appearances to celebrate the launch of his second single, "Hypnotized (Feat. Akon)." Today, the rapper will give MTV's "TRL" audiences a first look at his music video for the track. Plies will also make an upcoming appearance on MTV2's "Sucker Free." The music video for "Hypnotized" is starting to make waves on BET, where it premiered as a "New Joint" on the channel's "106 & Park" last month and is currently in "Heavy" rotation on "Rap City." The clip is also a recent rotation favorite at MTV2. Plies can also be seen performing on the BET Hip Hop Awards pre-show, which airs tomorrow, October 17 at 6PM ET.
Plies can currently be seen on the November cover of XXL Magazine, where he is featured as one of 10 "Leaders of the New School." Plies is also notably featured as #5 on MySpace Music's Top Charts today.
Written by DJ Z on 10/18/07
You Might Like...
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.