N.A.S.A Produce Out-of-This-World Tour, Reveal Recording Secrets [DJBooth Exclusive]
Chicago, IL -- This past weekend, DJBooth.net was in attendance at Chicago’s Abbey Pub (thanks to our good friends at Spectre Music and Epitaph Records) to watch musical astronauts Squeak E. Clean and DJ Zegon—known to the masses as N.A.S.A.—perform on their currently-running promotional tour.
Known by Booth-goers for their Kanye West and Santogold-assisted, “Gifted,” the duo are currently pushing their debut album, Spirit of the Apollo, a project that took nearly half a decade to complete.
Prior to performing for the sold-out crowd at The Abbey Pub, the duo took a minute to chop it up with DJBooth.net and dispel a few out-of-this-world misconceptions about the recording and preparation of their new album:
DJ Z: The promo photos [for the album] that you shot in full NASA gear—were they taken in Montana?
Squeak E. Clean: Nope. That was really on the moon.
DJ Z: Sure…
Squeak E. Clean: No, really. Most of the album was recorded at the International Space Station.
DJ Z: Those studio sessions had to cost a fortune…
Squeak E. Clean: Yeah, it wasn’t that much. Since NASA is an associate of our whole deal, we get access whenever we want.
With a tremendous amount of talent and plenty of personality, Clean (born Sam Spiegel) and Zegon (born Ze Gonzales), who met in Sao Paulo, Brazil, through a mutual love of rare Brazilian funk and soul records, create a far-out (pun fully intended) experience worth catching live and in color (actually, many many colors).
Spirit of the Apollo, currently available for purchase, received 4 out of a possible 5 “spins” from DJBooth.net. The album features appearances by Method Man, Ol’ Dirty Bastard, RZA, Ghostface Killah, Cee-Lo, Chuck D, E-40 and more.
Written by DJ Z on 03/11/09
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.