Multi-Talented Artist Static Major Dead at 32
Louisville, KY -- The hip-hop and R&B world lost an underrated and multi-talented singer/songwriter/producer when Static Major, formerly of the Def Jam group Playa, passed away in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, yesterday. He was only 32.
Soon after Playa released their only album Cheers to You in 1997, the group broke up due to creative differences. Fortunately, Static used his songwriting skills to pen Ginuwine's mega-hit, Pony, and to form an alliance with super producer Timbaland and his former label, Blackground.
There business relationship led to numerous hits for the late Aaliyah, such as Are You That Somebody?, We Need a Resolution, Rock the Boat, and More Than a Woman, as well as the Destiny's Child’s Say My Name.
Static would also prove his worth in the hip-hop production field, putting together the beats for Nas’s You Owe Me, Jay-Z’s Change the Game, and most recently Pretty Ricky’s On The Hotline.
Static was set to release his solo debut, Suppertime, off OG Music/Blackground later this year. The LP was tentatively set to include I Got My, as well as Bus Stop Breezy and Till The Wheels Fall Off.
Static’s most recent work included the recently featured TQ and Krayzie Bone single, Paradise, as well as Lil’ Wayne’s first official single from the long-awaited Carter III, Lollipop.
While the cause of death is not certain, early reports have indicated a brain aneurysm led to Static’s death.
Written by Burmy on 02/26/08
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.