Multi-Talented Artist Static Major Dead at 32
Louisville, KY -- The hip-hop and R&B world lost an underrated and multi-talented singer/songwriter/producer when Static Major, formerly of the Def Jam group Playa, passed away in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, yesterday. He was only 32.
Soon after Playa released their only album Cheers to You in 1997, the group broke up due to creative differences. Fortunately, Static used his songwriting skills to pen Ginuwine's mega-hit, Pony, and to form an alliance with super producer Timbaland and his former label, Blackground.
There business relationship led to numerous hits for the late Aaliyah, such as Are You That Somebody?, We Need a Resolution, Rock the Boat, and More Than a Woman, as well as the Destiny's Child’s Say My Name.
Static would also prove his worth in the hip-hop production field, putting together the beats for Nas’s You Owe Me, Jay-Z’s Change the Game, and most recently Pretty Ricky’s On The Hotline.
Static was set to release his solo debut, Suppertime, off OG Music/Blackground later this year. The LP was tentatively set to include I Got My, as well as Bus Stop Breezy and Till The Wheels Fall Off.
Static’s most recent work included the recently featured TQ and Krayzie Bone single, Paradise, as well as Lil’ Wayne’s first official single from the long-awaited Carter III, Lollipop.
While the cause of death is not certain, early reports have indicated a brain aneurysm led to Static’s death.
Written by Burmy on 02/26/08
You Might Like...
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.