Multi-Talented Artist Static Major Dead at 32
Louisville, KY -- The hip-hop and R&B world lost an underrated and multi-talented singer/songwriter/producer when Static Major, formerly of the Def Jam group Playa, passed away in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, yesterday. He was only 32.
Soon after Playa released their only album Cheers to You in 1997, the group broke up due to creative differences. Fortunately, Static used his songwriting skills to pen Ginuwine's mega-hit, Pony, and to form an alliance with super producer Timbaland and his former label, Blackground.
There business relationship led to numerous hits for the late Aaliyah, such as Are You That Somebody?, We Need a Resolution, Rock the Boat, and More Than a Woman, as well as the Destiny's Child’s Say My Name.
Static would also prove his worth in the hip-hop production field, putting together the beats for Nas’s You Owe Me, Jay-Z’s Change the Game, and most recently Pretty Ricky’s On The Hotline.
Static was set to release his solo debut, Suppertime, off OG Music/Blackground later this year. The LP was tentatively set to include I Got My, as well as Bus Stop Breezy and Till The Wheels Fall Off.
Static’s most recent work included the recently featured TQ and Krayzie Bone single, Paradise, as well as Lil’ Wayne’s first official single from the long-awaited Carter III, Lollipop.
While the cause of death is not certain, early reports have indicated a brain aneurysm led to Static’s death.
Written by Burmy on 02/26/08
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.