Meet Rap’s Mt. Rusmore
Today is President's Day, a day to reflect on the long history of men who have helped shape America into the greatest, and most humble, nation on Earth. But if we were to erect a Mt. Rushmore or rap, whose faces belong there? Who deserves to be held up as the four rappers whose visionary work has brought us to this point. Well, I've got a few ideas.
One quick note before we get started: it's a fine line, and there's obviously a lot of overlap, but Mr. Rushmore does not connote the "best" presidents/rappers, it instead is meant to honor the "most important," the men who provided the blueprint for the current game. And no, that wasn't a subtle Jay-Z reference.
Let's see. Our most scholarly president, the man spoke eight languages, Jefferson was also such a dope writer, so ill with the pen, that he got picked to write the Constitution, a document whose language all other laws would come to be measured by. There can really only be one choice here, Rakim. One of the most fiercely intelligent emcees in hip-hop history, Rakim essentially invented the idea of a lyrical rapper. I'm pretty sure Rakim wouldn't be pleased about being compared to a man who owned a plantation and slaves, but other that that, you've got to admit, it's a great call.
Roosevelt was a brash, loud and often violent president who almost single-handeldy started the Spanish-American War, then personally fought in it, was shot several times and survived and was known to be a man who wasn't afraid to indulge his appetites, be it food, women or smoke. Sound like anyone you know? Rossevelt never displayed the same poetic side as Pac, but the two men have far, far more in common than first meets the eye.
For the rest of the Mt. Rushmore list, including some additional presidential comparisons like Obama/Weezy, click here.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/15/10
You Might Like...
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)