Mary J. Blige Nabs 8th Grammy Award
New York, NY -- It is safe to say that megastar, Mary J. Blige, has the Midas touch when it comes to winning Grammy awards. At this year's 50th Anniversary Grammy celebration Mary won two out of her three award nominations in the "Best Gospel Performance" and "Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals" categories, making her now an 8-TIME GRAMMY AWARD WINNER.
Mary and Aretha Franklin's duet "Never Gonna Break My Faith," off the original soundtrack for Bobby won the "Best Gospel Performance" award and "Disrepectful," the song that Mary wrote for and performed with Chaka Khan on Khan's new album, Funk This, won the "Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals."
Mary states, "These women have been two of the most inspiring women in this industry for me. I love and respect them with all my heart, and it is truly a pleasure to be honored with each of them with these awards."
To date, Mary has won more than 25 awards, including NAACP Image Awards, American Music Awards, Billboard Awards, BET Awards, MTV's Video Music Awards, Soul Train Awards and more. In addition to this year's Grammy nominations, she is nominated for four (4) NAACP Image Awards: "Outstanding Female Artist," "Outstanding Song" For "Just Fine," "Outstanding Album" for Growing Pains, and "Outstanding Music Video" for "Just Fine." The NAACP Image Awards air this Thursday, February 14th.
Over the span of her 15-year career, Mary has garnered eight (8) platinum and multi-platinum studio albums (she released a live album in 1998 and a greatest hits album in 2005 both to critical acclaim and incredible sales) selling more than 40 million copies worldwide. With every album she has proven that hers is a voice of healing; a voice of reckoning. Her 8th and current studio album, Growing Pains(released 12/18 on Matriarch/Geffen), reached platinum in three weeks and is grabbing the hearts of the critics and fans alike. People magazine says "There are three things you can count on: death, taxes and good Mary J. Blige albums."
Written by DJ Z on 02/11/08
You Might Like...
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.