Lil’ Wayne Garners 3 BET Hip-Hop Award Nominations
NEW YORK, NY -- Cash Money superstar Lil Wayne pulled down three nominations for the First Annual BET Hip-Hop Awards, to be taped in Atlanta, GA on November 12, and air on November 15. The first ever hip-hop awards presented by the top rated network will pay homage to hip-hop’s global impact with an evening of awards and performances. The prolific Lil Wayne has been nominated for Hip-Hop CD of the Year for his platinum-plus opus, Tha Carter II, as well as receiving nominations for Lyricist of the Year and Hip-Hop MVP of the Year.
The award nods come during a flurry of end-of the year activity for the New Orleans native. His long awaited duet album Like Father Like Son with Cash Money founder and mentor Birdman hits stores on October 31. The duo is set to perform their breakout single from the new album “Stuntin’ Like My Daddy” during the awards ceremony. The song is already garnering a crossover and urban radio audience of close to 50 million listeners. In addition, the song corralled over 30,000 ringtone views/plays in the last week alone, and is the #1 most played video on BET and #4 on 106 & Park.
Lil Wayne is also enjoying success with the crossover buzz-song of 2006 “Shooter,” from Tha Carter II. One of the most talked about songs of the year, the groundbreaking track features Robin Thicke, and recently debuted in video form on MTV’s TRL and MTV2’s “Unleashed,” during which the video was played every hour on the hour. The song has garnered Wayne critical acclaim from such respected outlets at The New York Times and the video has become a fan favorite at MTV. The tireless hip-hop star is also featured on Outkast's next single, "Hollywood Divorce," from their Idelwild CD. The new song also guest stars Snoop Dogg, and the superstars will be joining forces in a new video to be shot sometime in the next few weeks.
The First Annual BET Hip-Hop Awards Show will be hosted by comedian Katt Williams, and held at the Fox Theater in Atlanta GA on November 12. The show is scheduled to air on BET on November 15 at 8:00pm EST.
Written by DJ Z on 10/24/06
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.