Laffy Taffey Free, Shawty Lo Previews New Album [Event Exclusive]
New York, NY -- Shawty Lo is proof that there is life after one-hit wonder criticisms and incarceration.
Bringing his southern swagger and dialect to New York City last night, Asylum Records and RockMeTV.com presented Shawty Lo...Laffy Taffy free.
In a room full of Northface and Bubble goose jackets (it was was a bitter 29 degrees), the lone member of D4L enjoying solo success brought the warmth of Bankhead, Atlanta, to the Big Apple. Draped in well over half a million dollars in jewels, Shawty Lo rocked the microphone in a spot no larger than the waiting room of a doctor’s office .
Kicking off his set with “Let’s Get It," a track that also features DG Yola, Lo showed that the dozen or so cameras flashing in his face didn’t slow his step or rather, his snap. Then came the popular radio single, “Dey Know,” which brought some movement to the usual stiff NYC crowd. And despite some silly controversy surrounding the club-ready, “I’m Da Man," fans lost their minds when the beat hit the speakers.
It’s obvious that Atlanta has suffered many ups and downs, from Grammy victories to their “King” getting arrested on federal gun charges. But for a young man who was once locked away while his group's top song was being spun nationwide, solo success and a second chance just goes to show that the "American Dream" does still exist .
Written by DJ Z on 01/16/08
You Might Like...
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.