Koch Set To Release Skillz’ “Million Dollar Backpack” on July 8
New York, NY -- KOCH Records announces the release of Million Dollar Backpack, the new album by renowned Virginia lyricist Skillz on July 8th, 2008.
Million Dollar Backpack is Skillz’ first new album of all new material since 2005’s Confessions of a Ghost Writer. The album features guest appearances by Common, Kweli, Freeway and The Roots, and finds Skillz rapping mostly about the reality in which he lives.
KOCH Records General Manager Alan Grunblatt comments, “Skillz is one of the greatest MCs in the country and is the spearhead of our burgeoning hip hop roster.”
Skillz is well known for his highly anticipated Year-End Rap Up freestyles, in which he sums up the year in hip hop and beyond with the wit and skill that only he can conjure up. He got so much attention from these freestyles that star director Chris Robinson shot a music video for Skillz’ 6th and most recent 2007 Rap Up.
The first single off of Million Dollar Backpack is “So Far So Good” feat. Common. The track finds Skillz reflecting on how far he has come and what he has to do to keep pushing ahead. On “Crazy World,” he ponders on the many injustices we all face every day. Touching on the hysteria he feels has been creeping into the hood for some time now, Skillz spits: “There’s kids on my block with pockets full of rocks/They used to think that school was cool but that came to a stop/The madness setting in, I know a veteran, sh** he fought for his country and can’t afford his medicine.” The video for “Crazy World” can be seen online and was featured on MTV2’s “Sucker Free” in late winter.
With an album chock full of substance, style and of course skill, Million Dollar Backpack promises to fill the creative void that’s plaguing hip-hop. “Originality is missing in music,” says Skillz. “You don’t have to be a gimmick, just be yourself. I’m not mad at the state of music or what ain’t happening, I’m just making my music and anyone who wants to listen to it I’m greatly appreciative.”
Skillz just completed a tour with Jazzy Jeff in Europe, and will tour with The Roots on select U.S. dates this month.
Written by DJ Z on 05/7/08
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.