Koch Records Inks Styles P to Hip-Hop Roster
NEW YORK, NY -- KOCH Records is thrilled to announce the addition of Styles P to its burgeoning hip-hop roster.
Styles P, accomplished solo MC, member of pioneering Hip Hop trio The Lox and one of rap's most highly respected lyricists, is gearing up for the Summer 2007 release of "5 Star General." In additon to creating some of the hardest, lyrically driven hip-hop anthems, Styles shares Co-CEO duties for D-Block Records, the label created by Styles and lifelong friends, Sheek Louch and Jadakiss.
Sheek Louch, Styles P and Jadakiss are members of The Lox, the Yonkers-based group who were at one time the backbone of Sean "Puffy" Combs' Bad Boy label. Hired as writers, the trio wrote and performed on Comb's "I Got The Power," and "It's All About the Benjamins," Mase's "24 Hrs. to Live," the Notorious B.I.G.'s "Last Day," Mary J. Blige's "Can't Get You Off My Mind," and many others. The Lox released their debut album "Money, Power & Respect" in 1998; it reached #3 on the Billboard Top 200 Charts. To date, The Lox has sold 1.7 million albums.
Styles released his debut solo album in 2002 titled "A Gangster and a Gentleman," which featured the smash hit, "Good Times (I Get High)" and sold an impressive 700,000 units. In 2005, he released two stand-alone mixtapes, "Ghost in the Shell" and "Ghost in the Machine." In 2006 Interscope released P's sophomore solo effort "Time Is Money" after nearly a three and a half-year delay.
Styles recently announced the deal during a recent interview on Angie Martinez' show on New York's Hot 97. Says Styles about this new venture, "I look forward to embarking on this exciting new phase of my career along side KOCH Records, a company best known for their unyielding interest in supporting the vision of the artist. It feels good to be a part of a team that appreciates hip hop in its truest form. I am ecstatic about being in control of my own destiny."
KOCH Records General Manager and Executive VP Alan Grunblatt adds, "Styles is THE perfect KOCH Urban artist. He has a huge fanbase and is ready to go to the next level. We are absolutely thrilled to have him."
For more on Styles P, click on www.MySpace.com/StylesP
Written by DJ Z on 03/24/07
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.