Kardinal Offishall Throws Not 4 Sale Listening Party [Exclusive Coverage]
Article By: Erica L.
New York, NY -- Kardinal Offishall is Toronto’s most successful crossover rapper on the US mainstream circuit. For the release of his fourth LP, Not 4 Sale, he called upon some of the biggest heavy-hitters in the game for some guest-spots on the blast-worthy album to show why, in his opinion, “the world changes on September 9th.”
The guest-spots aren’t the reason why everyone should love the new album--in fact, Not 4 Sale will be proving that with, or without features, an album can have substance. Industry insiders and aficionados filled Legacy Studios to enjoy the sounds of Kon Live’s hottest product on the market, and not surprisingly, the party got started when the chart topper Dangerous blared through the speakers.
Kardinal, who maintained a low profile throughout the event, knew that was only the beginning. He played the back for the majority of the listening session, only surfacing to thank his guests for coming out a la Def Comedy Jam's Russell Simmons, and popping up for a few photo-ops. The producer/emcee kept the crowd happy with a plethora of bass-heavy beats, like the gritty Set It Off featuring the Clipse, and Bad Like We Bad, the fiyah reggae tune, both produced by Boi-1da and Kardinal. On Graveyard Shift, Konvict boss Akon joined Kardinal to spit some stressful rhymes, “Full of crushed dreams and nightmares, baby-mothers can’t afford to pay that daycare/ activists try to come around like they care…suffering, the rules is unfair, hustling for more just to get that bus fare.”
As Kardinal told DJBooth.net in an Offishall interview, he won’t be selling us anything that isn’t the real deal. “The album is, I think, filling a void,” he said. “Filling a gap in creativity that we need in hip hop. And people always say, ‘instead of just complaining or talking about what you think hip hop is lacking, why don’t you just aggressively go and try to rectify the situation?’ and that’s what I’m doing.”
Written by Erica L. on 08/7/08
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.