Kardinal Offishall Celebrates Album Release With New York Performance [Exclusive Coverage]
New York, NY -- After over a decade of grinding and working his music throughout Toronto, Kardinal Offishall has finally caught the masses' attention stateside. It was just last year that T-Dot's own reigning king of dancehall signed with Akon's Konvict Muzik label, giving media outlets a reason to listen up.
In New York to celebrate the release of his debut, Not 4 Sale, Kardinal treated fans at legendary venue SOBs to an intimate performance.
"I'm from outside the States and always here artists saying 'I'm going to bring New York back.' But they don't represent where they're from and most sound the same. If you represent New York City put two fingers up in the air", announced the emcee, before setting off crowd favorite "Go Home With You." His ability to flip from lyrical wordplay right into traditional dancehall style crooning brought the tough New York crowd's energy from nonexistent up to a level on par with any jam on any street in Kingston.
Treating the room's rap nerds and journalists to several freestyles and classic cuts, he quickly converted any skeptics in the room. Kardinal rhymed and danced his way through several more album cuts such as his current radio killer "Dangerous" featuring Akon.
Closing out his set with a heartfelt speech Kardi addressed his fans, "I don't represent Toronto, I don't represent Konvict, or anything else, but I represent God. That's what I'm saying when I tell you to put your hand up in the sky. We're putting our hands up to God because that's who I believe in and who I represent." Showcasing both his charismatic personality and flawless stage show, Kardinal Offishall gave the States' tastemakers something to write about.
Written by Mikey Fresh on 09/10/08
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.