Kanye Tops U.S. Billboard Chart, 50 Shouldn’t Be Ashamed
Written By: DJ "Z"
The highly-anticipated and much debated sales match between Kanye West and 50 Cent is over. The victor was announced late Tuesday evening and ladies and gentlemen, please rise in ovation for your winner: Kanye West.
According to final totals, West’s Graduation finished with a first-week total of 930k, a sales mark that tops his own Late Registration (which sold 860k after its 2005 release). While Fiddy was unable to beat out West, the East Coast powerhouse has nothing to be ashamed of, as his third studio album Curtis tallied 660k.
Although sales in support of 50’s new album are well below the totals for each of his prior releases’ first week numbers, the 660k units sold are the second highest amount of the 2007 calendar year (Linkin Park previously held the mark at 625k).
Claims that each artists’ label purchased albums to boost first week numbers aside, the entire “battle” was kept predominantly clean and actually has provided a much needed boost for the entire music industry as a whole.
It looks as though when Hip-Hop comes in first, the music industry doesn’t have to retire after all.
Written by DJ Z on 09/18/07
You Might Like...
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.