Kanye Tops U.S. Billboard Chart, 50 Shouldn’t Be Ashamed
Written By: DJ "Z"
The highly-anticipated and much debated sales match between Kanye West and 50 Cent is over. The victor was announced late Tuesday evening and ladies and gentlemen, please rise in ovation for your winner: Kanye West.
According to final totals, West’s Graduation finished with a first-week total of 930k, a sales mark that tops his own Late Registration (which sold 860k after its 2005 release). While Fiddy was unable to beat out West, the East Coast powerhouse has nothing to be ashamed of, as his third studio album Curtis tallied 660k.
Although sales in support of 50’s new album are well below the totals for each of his prior releases’ first week numbers, the 660k units sold are the second highest amount of the 2007 calendar year (Linkin Park previously held the mark at 625k).
Claims that each artists’ label purchased albums to boost first week numbers aside, the entire “battle” was kept predominantly clean and actually has provided a much needed boost for the entire music industry as a whole.
It looks as though when Hip-Hop comes in first, the music industry doesn’t have to retire after all.
Written by DJ Z on 09/18/07
You Might Like...
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.