Junk Science Pours A Tonic For Hip-Hop Fans
Brooklyn, NY -- Hip-Hop duo Junk Science will follow up their critically-acclaimed debut release Feeding Einstein this October 23 with Gran'Dad's Nerve Tonic, whose title is a stylized take on a fictional ale. With lyrics from Junk Science emcee Baje One and beats done by the duo's second half, DJ Snafu, Junk Science has prepared a humble take on the traditional concept album that, despite its internal contradictions, manages to come out clean by record's end.
True to the style of artist collective Nuclear Family, the songs bounce casually across topics ranging from drinking to unemployment, to video games, and back to drinking again - but not without the artists surviving an encounter with their own maturity. Says emcee Baje One, "It's not a record about alcohol or alcoholism per se, as much as the record itself is the drink that me and Snafu needed and couldn't find anywhere on the shelves." Junk Science serves up a smooth glass with a variety of flavors and deep textures on Gran'Dad's Nerve Tonic, with a sound that shifts between dream-like ambiences and a classic, concrete simplicity.
For fans who wish they could find the Nerve Tonic on shelves, there is good news: the group has coordinated with Brooklyn-based Six Points Craft Ales to bring a limited-release brew to New York City coinciding with the album's release. The members of Junk Science share a love of quality beers with their label, Embedded Music. Legendary underground rap label Definitive Jux joined with Embedded to release the album, lending their resources to promoting and distributing the album. Nuk Fam artists Cool Calm Pete, Loer Velocity, and Iller Than Theirs make guest appearances, and producer Daedelus contributes a bonus remix for one of the singles.
Written by DJ Z on 08/1/07
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.