The “N*ggas In Paris” Debate: Is That Shit “Kray” Or Is It Just “Cray”?
Following the release of Jay-Z and Kanye West's "N*ggas In Paris" the phrase "that shit cray" became quite popular to say the least. But according to a single Tweet that's making its way across the interwebs instead of shortening the word "crazy" Jay and Kanye may have been referring to the word "Kray." Kray comes from the Kray Twins who were infamous crime lords in London during the 1950's. Now I feel like this is reaching a bit, especially since this whole cray/Kray theory is coming from someone who likely has no association with Kanye or Jay-Z. But it is sort of interesting. Check out the cray/Kray theory below.
"The origin of the term “Cray” from the “Niggas in Paris” single off Jay-Z and Kanye West’ “Watch the Throne” album is actually not a shortened form of the word “crazy”, nor is it “cray”, it’s actually “Kray”. It’s in reference to the schizophrenic twins Ronald and Reginald Kray… The Kray twins who were the crime lords in London in the 50?s and 60?s… The police failed to locate them on numerous occasions, which is where the line “ball so hard, muthafuckas wanna find me, that shit Kray. That shit Kray. That shit Kray”."
See Also: Rap Lines That Make No F**king Sense (aka We Found a New Jay-Z Line!)
See Also: The Funniest Kanye West Lines of All-Time
This article originally appeared on RefinedHype.com, which has now merged with The DJBooth. For more info, click here.
Written by Danielle H. on 11/3/11
You Might Like...
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)