The Hypemen Podcast, The Lost Episodes: Jean Grae
Way…..way….way….back in the day (aka 2010), when the entire concept of a rap podcast was still in its infancy, there was the Hypemen podcast. Up until the last episode in July of 2011, the Rosenthal brothers and Jensen Karp delivered almost 50 episodes of incredibly nerdy, incredibly funny in-depth interviews, and we were there to lend a helping hand.
But then, like an Amazonian rainforest reclaiming a once great Mayan civilization, the Hypemen was lost to the fog of time. iTunes stopped carrying the podcast, we had to switch servers and our streams died, and just like that, some seriously great hip-hop interviews were digitally buried. Thankfully, I worked some server magic and managed to recover every episode, the guys were down to revive the podcast, and here we are.
Over the next few weeks I’ll be re-issueing some of the Hypemen’s best episodes. Up next, the one and only Jean Grae. This is an episode for the record books not only because it was the very first Hypemen podcast ever but, you know, Jean's fucking hilarious. We're talking BBQ-ing with Lil’ Mama, run-ins with Tyrese, Talib Kweli’s collaboration with Gucci Mane, Nicki Minaj as the ‘Highlander’ and much more.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
Written by Nathan S. on 07/24/14
You Might Like...
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.