Heat Check: What Do We Think About Drake’s “Draft Day”?
If there is one thing we love as much as rap, it's sports. Okay, so it's probably boobs, but sports is up there too. When the two come together (either boobs and hip-hop or sports and hip-hop) we are going to talk about it. So when Drake drops a song that is
boob sports themed, entitled "Draft Day" (no relation to this mess) it has to be a Heat Check.
Normally, we don't post new songs, but on occasion, something comes out that we have to talk about. Considering Drake has been a target lately (cough cough Jay Z cough cough) this is one release to highlight (I think we all want to see some shots fired). Well, I don't know if we are ever going to hear a direct response to Jay, and this might be as close as we get. Plus he mentions another rapper, one you might not expect. Oh did I mention he is spitting over Lauryn Hill's "Doo-Wop (That Thing)".
It's "Heat Check" time!
Now when Jay Z calls you out, and you drop a track less than a week later, it is inevitable that people will think it's a response. I just don't think we are ever going to get him to respond directly to Jay. That being said, he definitely sounds like he is on a mission here; there is a fire in his belly and it has to be related to Jay right? Plus, he does mention Chance The Rapper, which is interesting, considering we were all waiting for a diss and Chance is the only rapper mentioned.
I am probably reading way to much into that; sometimes it's ok for rappers to say each others names. Anyway, at least give the man some credit, he isn't afraid to take any classic song and rap over it. Wu-Tang on Nothing Was The Same,and now Lauryn Hill? Man has guts, I'll give him that. I guess it helps when you have Boi-1da to flipit perfectly.
As for a decision, I'm actually on the fence about this one. I should like it, and it might grow on me, but right now it feels a little flat. Maybe I got caught in the hype machine and wanted to hear him take a shot at Jay so I'm biased, but it feels like it's missing something; there is no edge. Who knows, in two weeks, I might come back to it and love it, but right now, I got suckered into wanting a diss track. I know what I'm voting for...
What to you think RefinedHype Nation?
This article originally appeared on RefinedHype.com, which has now merged with The DJBooth. For more info, click here.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/2/14
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.