Groundbreakers: Gilbere Forte on “PRAY”, His Influences & More
The culture isn’t moved by those who nudge it forward, who gently tap. Culture is moved by those bold and brave enough to truly push and break new ground. For our new series in collaboration with Green Label, “Groundbreakers,” we’ll highlight some true groundbreakers from the worlds of music, art, sports, and beyond.
Today, we talk to Gilbere Forte — a rapper redefining what it means to be a rapper by working with everyone from hip-hop heavyweights like Bun B to indie rock bands like the Freelance Whales — about how film scores influence his music, the importance he places on fashion, and much more.
DJBooth: "Creative people often want to look as if their style emerged out of a vacuum, but the truth is real groundbreakers take the foundation of their influences and build their own buildings on them. With that in mind, what are your biggest influences in music and beyond?"
Forte: "For me, my biggest influences have been film scores. The moment when music in a film can actually made me cry or feel excited, confident or vengeful is so powerful. I took note of how deeply in-tune my emotions were when reacting to these compositions, so I’m always trying to recreate that experience in my music.
Taking in life in general has also always been a great influence. Like people watching, and trying to understand someone’s perspectives and story without even speaking to them. I take that and apply it to the music I hear in my head."
For the rest of the interview, including Forte's breakdown of his PRAY video, check out Green-Label.com.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/5/14
You Might Like...
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.