From Whitney to Alicia, the Greatest Super Bowl National Anthems
This Sunday Seattle and Denver will clash to determine the best team in football, and of course we'll be interested in watching Peyton go up against the Seahawk's vaunted secondary. But the Super Bowl is about more than a game, it's about food, commercials. the halftime show and, of course, who sings the national anthem. After all, on The DJBooth all we really care about is the music.
This year opera singer Renee Fleming will be doing the vocal honors, but before she sings a note, how will she stack up against some of the previous greats? Luckily, Pepsi has a complete breakdown of the greatest national anthem performances in Super Bowl history; spoiler alert, they have Whitney Houston's epic rendition near the top.
As they write, "It takes a true artist to give a masterful performance that leaves viewers with shivers in their spines, tears in their eyes and goosebumps on their arms, all before the game starts." So to get your spine shivering now and do your homework before those first few notes of "O say can you see" kick off on Sunday, be sure to check out Pepsi's list of most memorable Super Bowl national anthem performances.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/28/14
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)