Gnarls Barkley Receives RIAA Platinum Certification
NEW YORK, NY -- "ST. ELSEWHERE," the acclaimed debut album from Downtown/Atlantic recording phenom Gnarls Barkley, has been certified platinum by the RIAA for sales exceeding one million units in the U.S. The celebrated album -- which includes the record-setting crossover single, "Crazy" -- has been ranked in the top 10 for the last 9 weeks on the Billboard 200 charts.
"Crazy" recently made history for occupying the most radio airplay charts in a single week, sitting atop eight different radio formats, including Top 40, Triple A, Hot AC, Alternative, AC, Urban, Dance and Rhythmic. Additionally, "Crazy" has been the #1 digital single this summer, with sales now nearing 900,000 and the music video has just received three prestigious nominations for the upcoming "MTV Video Music Awards," including "Best Group Video."
"This is an amazing achievement by two of the most unique and talented artists in music today," says Downtown Records' Chairman/CEO Josh Deutsch. "We are proud to mark this milestone on behalf of Downtown and Atlantic. The record breaking, multi-format success of Gnarls Barkley is a tribute to Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo's uncompromising originality and reminds us that music transcends formats and boundaries."
Gnarls Barkley -- the combination of the groundbreaking artist/producer Danger Mouse and the revered and complex vocalist -- Cee-Lo -- celebrated the RIAA platinum certification of "ST. ELSEWHERE" last week with a live performance on CBS-TV's "Late Show with David Letterman."
Written by DJ Z on 08/22/06
You Might Like...
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.