SXSW - Freddie Gibbs & Big K.R.I.T. at Peckerhead’s
Greetings DJBooth Fam!
Thursday was an eventful day for me at SXSW. The high point for me was when I met my Black nerd crush Donald Glover of "Community" fame at the PureVolume Room. I also caught Raphael Saadiq at Filter Magazine's Culture Collide party, and it was easily one of the best performances I've seen so far. Afterward I went over to Peckerhead's to see Big K.R.I.T. perform as part of the Rumbler Lounge presentation. I'd just missed The Cool Kids, but as it would turn out Freddie Gibbs was slated to perform while Big K.R.I.T. was setting up. That was a 2-for-1 I could get down with. It totally made up for the fact that I only caught the last 90 seconds of Stalley's set a couple hours earlier because of an apparent misunderstanding about the start time.
I'm sure this has been said before, but Freddie Gibbs' resemblance to Don Cheadle is striking. That, coupled with the fact that he was performing shirtless and dripping with sweat made me clutch my pearls like an old church lady ("LAWDAMERCY!"). Tantalizing visuals aside, another enjoyable aspect of Freddie Gibbs' set was the fact that he performed with a live band and a singer. They really set it off, and it was clear that the robust sound they produced had Freddie amped. As an aside, just between us: Freddie Gibbs is NOT a fan of law enforcement. After almost every song he shouted "F*CK THE POLICE!" It was a bit excessive, but he was just expressing himself I guess.
Big K.R.I.T. came ready to rock the crowd, and rock the crowd he did. Wanna see grown men jump around like excited preschoolers at snack time? Put them in a room with K.R.I.T. while he's performing "Country Sh*t." I made the mistake of wearing flip-flops and my toes became the victims of crunkified stomps at the hands (well, feet) of the man in front of me. They will be thoroughly missed. I couldn't be too mad, K.R.I.T. was great. He was jumping up on speakers son! I thought he was going to crowd surf, and I totally would have been okay with that.
I'm being summoned, so I'll have to end this here for now. I'm looking forward to checking out DJBooth's showcase "The Rising" in an hour or so. Follow me @softjunebreeze for SXSW tweets until my next update. Be good kids!
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 03/18/11
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.