Former Chopper City Boy VL Mike Shot Dead at 30
New Orleans, LA -- The life of an up-and-coming rap talent was cut short Saturday evening as former Chopper City Boyz member, VL Mike ,was gunned down in New Orleans. VL Mike was only 30 years old.
First heard by many listeners on the Chopper City Boyz' 2007 debut album, "We Got This" (which included the David Banner-produced "Make 'Em Mad"), Mike later left the group due to a dispute with fellow member, B.G.. Mike would later team up with The Game's Black Wall Street, before eventually signing a major label deal with Epic Records.
"I'm working real real hard out here, man. I'm recording six, seven, eight songs per day," said Mike in a recent interview with DJBooth's DJ "Z."
This past February, Mike released the solo single, "Money In Here," which features vocals and production by Mannie Fresh. The song, for which a video was shot in March, was set to be the first single off the rapper's forthcoming solo debut, "There's Only 1 Me."
In addition to his solo work, Mike also collaborated with Akon, Webbie, Bossman, and Cyssero among others.
Details regarding the shooting have not yet been released.
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.