Flying Lotus & Kendrick’s “Never Catch Me”: Dope, Really Dope or Fucking Mind Blowing?
Normally when we do these "Heat Check" things right after a big song drops we try to be a little more balanced. We offer you a range of choices: maybe the song is dope, maybe it's just ok, maybe it's wack. Music is subjective, the world is allowed to have their subjective opinion. Let's all assemble on these here interwebs and discuss peacefully.
But this new Flying Lotus and Kendrick Lamar "Never Catch Me" shit? This shit right here? This shit right here has me feeling like I'm all hopped up on Mt. Dew about to attack the world like a spider monkey. This is that music that takes my head apart, fills it with choirs of angels and shards of glass reflecting only the purest and dopest music light, and then reassembles it with a hydrogen bomb.
Of course, you're free to disagree with me, I can't actually control your brainwaves (yet), but if you're not digging this, you're wrong. Now yes, I know there are a lot of people out there for whom "Never Catch Me" is going to be entirely too weird to get into. Maybe by tomorrow I'll have calmed down enough to be more understanding and sympathetic to those people, but right now, sorry. Catch up, you're missing out.
And I know there are also some people who are going to point to this as yet another example of the LIBERAL BLOG ILLUMINATI ALWAYS ON KENDRICK'S DICK. Fine, I don't even have time for y'all right now. If you want to bitterly stew your night away in your mom's basement while two incredible artists make incredible art...well, good luck with that shit.
For all my other people out there, who know how incredible Flying Lotus is, who know the "Kendrick Lamar is overrated" talk is ridiculous, or better yet, don't give a fuck about any of it and just want to hear music that makes them feel alive, you are my people, and tonight is a good night. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go try to assemble the loose parts of my cranium scaterred around this room.
p.s. - A Flying Lotus and Kendrick album just vaulted to the top of my producer-emcee projects wish list.
[Nathan S. is the managing editor of The DJBooth and a hip-hop writer. He also occasionally talks in podcast form and appears on RevoltTV. His beard is awesome. This is his Twitter.]
Written by Nathan S. on 09/3/14
Featured In This Article
You Might Like...
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.