Donny Goines Headlines Showcase in NYC [Exclusive Coverage]
New York, NY – Donny Goines, Emilio Rojas, Rain and Beyond Belief represented hip-hop to the fullest at The Blender Theatre at Gramercy on Monday night.
In an exclusive interview, Emilio Rojas said that his new, DJ Green Lantern-hosted mixtape, The Natural, earned its name due to the organic process that led up to its development, a process that included Rojas' changing his eating habits to a more holistic diet.
“The process has been just record records, let things come as they may. Let it take its course, I don’t force nothing,” said Rojas. In regard to his single "Bold and Arrogant," also a highlight of his set, Rojas said “People say I’m cocky, and I say okay. [Producer] M-Phazes from Australia helped me make a song that brought that out.”
Th evening's second artist Donny Goines began the night by taking a moment to express his appreciation for those who attended the event. “I appreciate everybody that came out, whether it's 10 or 10,000 people, I go’s in and go hard. That’s why I’ll be the next best artist,” he told DJBooth. “People don’t understand my drive and my hunger. People have to actually see my drive and my hunger, they have to hear my music, and see my passion when it comes to me doing what I do. Failure is not an option.”
Donny has become synonymous with the hip-hop grind in NYC. He and his team can be seen at just about every venue from the east to the west side, and everybody knows their names. “I fight against things I can’t control," he said. "I don’t have d*ckriders. People that come out come for the love, I have a grassroots movement, and I love it. No matter how hard it is, I’m gonna keep on trucking.”
In addition to high-energy sets from the four Booth favorites named above, the night included also performances from J-Cole and Kwame that included some impromptu audience participation and – needless to say – a whole lot of fun for all involved.
Written by Erica L. on 12/2/09
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.