DMX Free After Posting $25,000 Bail
AP --- DMX is free. The 35-year-old rap star, whose real name is Earl Simmons, walked out of Westchester County jail Friday after posting $25,000 bail following a night behind bars.
City Judge Barbara Leak issued an arrest warrant for the rapper Wednesday when he failed to appear in court to answer to speeding and other traffic charges.
Simmons' lawyer told the judge, who had granted two previous postponements, the artist was sick.
Simmons, whose albums include 'It's Dark and Hell Is Hot,' was arrested in White Plains on June 2 for speeding, making unsafe lane changes, not wearing a seat belt and driving without a license, police said.
He has had other driving problems, before and since, and he served 70 days in jail last year for violating his parole following a 2004 incident in which he posed as an undercover federal agent and crashed his sport utility vehicle through a security gate at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Earlier this month, police in Scottsdale, Ariz., said they saw him pull a gun from a holster and put it under the front seat of his convertible. He was cited for carrying a concealed handgun.
He was due back in City Court on July 24.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Written by DJ Z on 07/1/06
You Might Like...
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.