DJ Toomp Ends 2006 at #1
Atlanta, GA -- Arguably one of the greatest producers in the game, Atlanta native DJ Toomp, who was nominated for Hip-Hop Track of the Year along with T.I. for "What You Know" at BET's first Hip Hop Awards in November, not only nabbed two Grammy nominations two consecutive years in a row (T.I.'s 2005 "U Don't Know Me" and 2006 "What You Know"), he also helped propel two rap stars into the #1 spot on the Billboard charts in 2006.
Thanks to Toomp's synth-heavy tracks, T.I.'s album "King" held court at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 when it came out in March with the DJ Toomp street smash, "What You Know" the only official single released when the album debuted. "King" was the rapper's best charting release, which also crowned the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, replacing Prince's "3121".
Toomp then duplicated his successful formula in December for Young Jeezy with the monster track "I Luv It" from his sophomore album, "The Inspiration," which debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200. Selling over 350,000 copies in the United States alone, it more than doubled the 172,000-unit first week for Jeezy's 2005 debut, "Let's Get It: Thug Motivation." The only single to be released, "I Luv It" sat on the top 30 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts.
DJ Toomp's star power is undeniable and with more hits coming out of his southwest Atlanta studio NZone, as well as from his own roster of artists including Suga Suga and Jovan Dais, 2007 is set to be another banner year for ATL's #1 Beat Banger.
Written by DJ Z on 01/8/07
You Might Like...
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)