“Dillathon” Release to Honor the Memory of J Dilla
San Diego, CA -- Loyal fans and avid listeners of J Dilla will be pleased to hear the legacy of the recently passed super producer producer living on through Rob Grimes' worldwide release of "Dillathon" on Tuesday, Feb. 26th. -- just weeks after Dilla's birthday.
James Dewitt Yancey, also known as Jay Dee, would have been 34 years old this year. His life was cut short on Feb. 10, 2006 after a tumultuous battle with lupus and an incurable blood disease. Often referred to as "your favorite producer's favorite producer," Dilla became renowned and loved for his beats and creative vision that became critical to the success of such artists as Madlib, Slum Village and Common, among many others.
"The mixtape is a showcase and a tribute," says Rob Grimes. "It's me going in and killing all my favorite Dilla beats."
Rob Grimes promises this mixtape is an "instant classic" that's sure to keep fans sitting on the edge of their seats and keep them hitting the play back button. One unexpected guest gracing "Dillathon" is Brooklyn emcee Talib Kweli.
"Yeah, I just hit up Talib and he sent me back freestyles he had already did over Dilla beats, and I just picked one and went in on it."
The "Dillathon" mixtape will be a free download hosted by the World Famous DJ Ease. It's available at www.myspace.com/RobGrimes and guaranteed to be music to the ears of Dilla's followers across the globe.
Written by DJ Z on 02/25/08
You Might Like...
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.