“Dillathon” Release to Honor the Memory of J Dilla
San Diego, CA -- Loyal fans and avid listeners of J Dilla will be pleased to hear the legacy of the recently passed super producer producer living on through Rob Grimes' worldwide release of "Dillathon" on Tuesday, Feb. 26th. -- just weeks after Dilla's birthday.
James Dewitt Yancey, also known as Jay Dee, would have been 34 years old this year. His life was cut short on Feb. 10, 2006 after a tumultuous battle with lupus and an incurable blood disease. Often referred to as "your favorite producer's favorite producer," Dilla became renowned and loved for his beats and creative vision that became critical to the success of such artists as Madlib, Slum Village and Common, among many others.
"The mixtape is a showcase and a tribute," says Rob Grimes. "It's me going in and killing all my favorite Dilla beats."
Rob Grimes promises this mixtape is an "instant classic" that's sure to keep fans sitting on the edge of their seats and keep them hitting the play back button. One unexpected guest gracing "Dillathon" is Brooklyn emcee Talib Kweli.
"Yeah, I just hit up Talib and he sent me back freestyles he had already did over Dilla beats, and I just picked one and went in on it."
The "Dillathon" mixtape will be a free download hosted by the World Famous DJ Ease. It's available at www.myspace.com/RobGrimes and guaranteed to be music to the ears of Dilla's followers across the globe.
Written by DJ Z on 02/25/08
You Might Like...
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.