Designer Mark Ecko, Common, Rakim, Lupe Fiasco & Rhymefest Invade NYC
New York, NY -- Marc Ecko, founder of the world famous rhino brand of apparel, *ecko unltd., today announced details for “Marc Ecko’s Save the Rhinos 2nd Annual Benefit Concert,” starring Common, Rakim, Lupe Fiasco, DJ Z-Trip, Rhymefest, DJ Kid Capri and other surprise guests.
The show follows up last summer’s sold out inaugural benefit, which featured The Roots, De La Soul, Mos Def, DJ Premier and MF Doom and raised $150,000, and will be held rain or shine in Central Park’s Rumsey Playfield (enter at 69th Street and 5th Avenue) on June 8th. The event will combine legendary hip-hop stars – Common and Rakim – with the genre-defying DJ Z-Trip, one of the originators of the current “mash-up” phenomenon, and the two most heralded up-and-coming rap acts of 2006 – Kanye West protégés Lupe Fiasco and Rhymefest. Celebrated DJ Kid Capri will host and man the turntables throughout the day. Doors will open at 5pm. The first performance begins at 6:00pm.
Proceeds from the event will go directly to the International Rhino Foundation as part of Marc Ecko and *ecko unltd’s multi-year financial commitment and overall partnership effort to double the populations of the Indian, Black, and Sumatran rhinos, three of the planet’s most endangered species. As a symbol of this program, a baby Indian rhino born at the San Diego Zoo’s Wild Animal Park in January 2005 was named “Ecko” after the well-known designer.
Commenting on the benefit, Mr. Ecko stated, “Last year, we welcomed an extraordinary crowd to our first annual Save the Rhinos benefit concert, raising much needed awareness of the plight facing these majestic animals. Building on the success of that event, am delighted to bring another great line-up to Central Park this June.”
Tickets are $36 in advance, $40 the day of the event, and are available from April 18th through select Ticketmaster Outlets, Online at www.ticketmaster.com and Ticketmaster charge-by-phone: (212) 307-7171, (201) 507-8900, (631) 888-9000, (845) 454-3388. Tickets are also available at Fatbeats, located in New York City at 406 6th Avenue.
Written by DJ Z on 06/6/06
You Might Like...
- Win Tickets to See Mick Jenkins & Kirk Knight Live in New York [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.