Debut Album From Unk Features the Smash Hit, “Walk It Out”
NEW YORK, NY -- Big Oomp Records / KOCH Records announce the highly-anticipated release of "Beat'n Down Yo Block," the new debut album by Atlanta's Unk.
The album features the blazing, high-energy hit, "Walk it Out," which is currently at 2100 spins, 18 million in audience. The song is also the #1 ringtone on The Source Mobile, and #6 on Jamster. The explosive track is also featured on national TV spots for The Mob ringtones.
The catchy video for "Walk It Out" has been added to BET, and is this week's "Jam of the Week" on MTV Jams.
"Beat'n Down Yo Block" is a gathering of some of southern hip-hop's greatest, among them D.G. Yola, Baby D and Dem Franchize Boyz. It also features production by Jazze Pha, eight-year-old prodigy Big Korey as well as DJ Montay of Top Quality Productions.
Unk, the 24-year-old former DJ, caught the attention of Big Oomp (the man known for his ability to break underground rap acts, among them Baby D), about six years ago. Oomp says he was as impressed by Unk's drive as he was by his talent. "It was his work ethic," lends Oomp. "He was determined and he wanted to rap and he was determined he was gonna make it. He started out as a DJ and he just started writing raps to go on the mixtapes. He was so dedicated in making sure he made it on the mixtapes, I was like 'this joker here gon' be alright'."
About his hit, "Walk It Out," Unk says, "That song is just mad energy," he proclaims. "It's like the first song [you play at a party]. People like to move on it."
While stylistically, his songs are mostly characterized by heavy basslines, the tracks on "Beat'n Down Yo Block" are diverse, covering a wide range of subjects, moods and occasions.
The video for "Walk it Out" can be seen HERE, and watch Outkast premiere the video on BET's "106th & Park" HERE
Written by DJ Z on 09/11/06
You Might Like...
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.