Dead Prez Hold CD Release Show at NYC’s Highline Ballroom [Exclusive]
New York, NY -- “Everybody make some noise for O-dogg y'all, I’m still so happy Obama made it into office!” yelled M-1 to a house packed with dead prez fanatics. After much applause, the instantly-recognizable string-and-snare groove from underground smash, “Hell Yeah,” rang through the venue—immediately, college kids, Nation of Islam faithful, and hip-hop junkies of all stripes began moving in unison to sounds of the R.B.G. Militia.
The Florida-raised and Brooklyn-bred hip-hop duo have spent nearly a decade using rap as an avenue to promote social justice and raise awareness of their leftist political views. On Sunday evening , M-1, stic.man, and the incomparable DJ Green Lantern brought the revolution to NYC's Highline Ballroom to celebrate the release of dead prez' fourth LP, Pulse of the People
Taking the stage a few minutes after 8pm, dead prez launched launched immediately into a catalog-spanning set. Effortlessly trading verses as they performed powerful renditions of listener favorites “It’s Bigger Than Hip Hop”, "Mind Sex," and “They Schools,” as well as standout cuts from their forthcoming LP, the brothers kept the crowd moving with their trademark blend of humor, information, and leftist politics.
Later in the night, the twosome took a break from the fiery political rhetoric to pay tribute to two hip-hop greats. “Two fingers up for Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur, everybody get your two fingers up for our fallen soldiers, y'all,” called stic.man before the group ripped into their rendition of “Juicy.”
After rocking nonstop for nearly an hour, the duo brought the night to a close with a surprise cover of Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together.” The soul classic proved an uplifting end to a night of showmanship, education, and revolutionary thought that left all in attendance energized and ready to fight the power.
Written by Mikey Fresh on 06/22/09
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.