Colin Munroe, Kid CuDi, & Wale Perform at Manhattan’s Highline Ballroom [Exclusive Coverage]
New York, NY -- Last night, in downtown Manhattan, Mark Ronson’s Allido Records and Hot 97 hosted a show featuring Colin Munroe, Wale, and Kid CuDi at the Highline Ballroom. Hot 97 on air-personalities Cipha Sounds and Peter Rosenberg took on hosting duties, lightening up the tense air between the sardine can-packed concertgoers.
Munroe was first to take the stage; accompanied only by a single guitarist, he paced between a minimal drum set and a keyboard without missing a step. It’s no cakewalk keeping your composure and confidence, in front of a crowd of blank stares; “Y'all are looking like you don’t know what to make of me, but it’s okay – I am different,” explained Munroe. By the middle of his set it was evident that most were there to see Wale and Kid Cudi, but Munroe left the stage with something that co-signs and money can’t buy: respect.
GOOD Music’s latest signee and Kanye’s new wonderboy, Kid Cudi, hit the stage next. Fresh off the plane from Australia, Mr. Solo Dolo definitely had all eyes on him. After killing mixtape bangers like “Down and Out” and “Man on the Moon,” CuDi had one more surprise in store for the thirsty fans, as hometown hero Jim Jones joined the emcee for a performance of breakthrough single “Day 'n' Night,” whipping the crowd to a fever pitch.
As Jay-Z and Leonardo DiCaprio entered the VIP room, Wale and his UCB band crept onstage. “W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E.” quickly re-energized the crowd, and Hov seemed thoroughly impressed as his goons deflected the attentions of male groupies. The lovely Chrisette Michele made her cameo as the DC heavy hitter rocked his Roots guest spot on the track “Rising Up”. One half of the Clipse, Pusha T, also made an appearance for his verse on “Back in the Go-Go”. The hipsters could barely contain themselves. In true Roc-A-Fella form, though, the night ended with Freeway and Young Chris storming the stage and making a convincing case for the dynasty to which they lay claim.
Written by Mikey Fresh on 12/10/08
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.