Club Where Rapper Proof Was Killed Closed
DETROIT -- A nightclub where the rapper Proof, a protege of Eminem, died in a shootout that also killed another man will close for a year under a deal with authorities.
The CCC nightclub also must pay fines for illegally operating after hours, the Wayne County prosecutors said. The settlement and the fines are to be announced at a court hearing Thursday, the Detroit Free Press reported.
Proof, 32, whose real name was Deshaun Holton, died April 11 after being shot following a fight that occurred 2 1/2 hours after the club's legal closing time.
Proof was a member of the rap group D12 and was the best man at Eminem's January wedding.
Army veteran Keith Bender, 35, also was shot and died a week later.
Police say Proof shot Bender before Bender's cousin, Mario Etheridge, shot Proof. Etheridge is charged with carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm in a building.
Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy, who sued the club's owners, said state law for a nuisance violation permits only a one-year closing.
Club co-owner Alfred Thompson declined comment Wednesday.
Written by DJ Z on 05/18/06
You Might Like...
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.