Club Where Rapper Proof Was Killed Closed
DETROIT -- A nightclub where the rapper Proof, a protege of Eminem, died in a shootout that also killed another man will close for a year under a deal with authorities.
The CCC nightclub also must pay fines for illegally operating after hours, the Wayne County prosecutors said. The settlement and the fines are to be announced at a court hearing Thursday, the Detroit Free Press reported.
Proof, 32, whose real name was Deshaun Holton, died April 11 after being shot following a fight that occurred 2 1/2 hours after the club's legal closing time.
Proof was a member of the rap group D12 and was the best man at Eminem's January wedding.
Army veteran Keith Bender, 35, also was shot and died a week later.
Police say Proof shot Bender before Bender's cousin, Mario Etheridge, shot Proof. Etheridge is charged with carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm in a building.
Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy, who sued the club's owners, said state law for a nuisance violation permits only a one-year closing.
Club co-owner Alfred Thompson declined comment Wednesday.
Written by DJ Z on 05/18/06
You Might Like...
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.