Club Where Rapper Proof Was Killed Closed
DETROIT -- A nightclub where the rapper Proof, a protege of Eminem, died in a shootout that also killed another man will close for a year under a deal with authorities.
The CCC nightclub also must pay fines for illegally operating after hours, the Wayne County prosecutors said. The settlement and the fines are to be announced at a court hearing Thursday, the Detroit Free Press reported.
Proof, 32, whose real name was Deshaun Holton, died April 11 after being shot following a fight that occurred 2 1/2 hours after the club's legal closing time.
Proof was a member of the rap group D12 and was the best man at Eminem's January wedding.
Army veteran Keith Bender, 35, also was shot and died a week later.
Police say Proof shot Bender before Bender's cousin, Mario Etheridge, shot Proof. Etheridge is charged with carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm in a building.
Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy, who sued the club's owners, said state law for a nuisance violation permits only a one-year closing.
Club co-owner Alfred Thompson declined comment Wednesday.
More From Proof
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.