Chicago’s Music In The Spotlight at Bombaby Sapphire’s “Inspired”
Chicago, IL -- The expression “for the grown and sexy” is often overused, especially when referring to a crowd that is set to appear at a given party or event. On Tuesday evening at Chicago’s River East Arts Center however, the aforementioned title rang appropriately true.
Bombay Sapphire organized and produced the event series: “Inspired Chicago,” honoring the furthering of contemporary art, design and music within the urban culture.
The zenith of the three day experience was an all-star celebration of Chicago’s urban musical talent. Several artists performed live including rappers Twista, Rhymefest, and Da Brat, as well as singer Michelle Williams, formerly of Destiny’s Child.
Da Brat, goddaughter of the evening’s co-curator, George Daniels, kicked off the party just past 10pm (Chicago time) with a medley of her past hits including the Tyrese collaboration, “What Chu Like?”
Shortly thereafter, J Records recording artist Rhymefest made his way to the stage and gave an all-out, sweat-inducing, heart and soul on his sleeve type of performance; the definitive performance from a guest artist at an event that boasts the word 'INSPIRE' in its title.
“What inspires me? There is a need for balance in music, and in the way that people think about life. People think they have a self-entitlement, and that they supposed to have everything. [People] don't understand the steps they need to take to get [what they want]. Hopefully what I do, the balance I bring to my craft, will help to inspire others," said Rhymefest following his performance on stage.
Rhymefest on stage at Inspire Chicago (Picture taken by Brian Zisook)
The well dressed crowd thoroughly enjoyed their evening, as many sipped on the complimentary drinks that were made available courtesy of Bombay Sapphire.
Without doing a straw poll or administering a written survey, the most popular drink, hands down, was the “P&P.” Mixed with their signature gin, the P&P includes one part pineapple juice, one part pomegranate juice, and three parts pleasure.
Just like the evening, “Yes, I’d like another please.”
Written by DJ Z on 07/18/07
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.