Busta Rhymes & Pac Div Rock the Mic at NYC’s Knitting Factory [Exclusive Coverage]
New York, NY -- On the night of his baby’s birthday, Busta Rhymes took the stage at New York City’s Knitting Factory to throw some excitement into the frigid city air.
Special Guests Pac Div opened the show with their honest raps and crowd-participation-inviting stage antics. The West Coast trio may be the hardest-working group of young men to emerge from the Kill Cali in some time. Though it took some time for the audience to warm up to the group, by the end of their twenty-minute set they had a crew of fans onstage, rocking their hit, “Mayor”.
After a wait of nearly two and a half hours, Busta Rhymes and his long-time hype man Spliff Starr casually strolled into sight from the tiny backstage area. Spliff wasted no time getting the crowd jumping, as the riot-inducing sounds of M.O.P.’s smash hit “Ante Up” pumped through the sound system. The sheer electricity of Busta’s aura alone was enough to keep the crowd moving throughout his relatively short set. Many of his classics, such as, “Break Yo Neck” and “Fire It Up”, had to be cut short, but one had to take into account the fact that it was his baby’s birthday (as he mentioned several times).
The highlight of the night came when Q-Tip joined his big homey on stage, and the two effortlessly killed A Tribe Called Quest classic “Scenario.” Q-Tip ‘s cousin and Tribe affiliate Consquence also came onstage to strut his stuff and add some flavor to the set. The Abstract treated concert goers to a few more jams, including his latest single, “Gettin’ Up,” before making his exit.
Though it wasn’t the most spectacular Busta Rhymes show I’ve attended, the emcee has never disappointed a crowd. During the course of the night, Busta showcased his extensive catalog and unmatchable energy, and justified his reputation as one of the most entertaining hip hop artists of all time.
Written by Mikey Fresh on 10/30/08
You Might Like...
- Kendrick Lamar & Ellie Goulding Rock the Bacardi Triangle (Recap & Interview)
- Win Tickets to Chris Webby’s “Chemically Imbalanced” Release Show at SOBs [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Win Tickets to See Joey BadA$$ Live in Florida [Booth-Exclusive Giveaway]
- Allen Stone & The Blueprint For a Great Live Show
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)