Big Boi, YelaWolf & Jay Elecontonica Make the ATL Proud [Exclusive Coverage]
Most hip-hop fans take pride in their hometown rappers. However, moving from state to state I never truly got to feel that pride until this weekend. On Thursday, Big Boi threw a free concert that also featured Jay Electronica and Yelawolf for anybody who was in Atlanta and loved good music. With the location not announced until five hours before the show, many like myself raced to the location waiting for a fun night with great performances.
Once the doors opened, we were brought into a huge auditorium with four open bars ready to serve (and enhance) the night's fun. With house DJ 9th Wonder on the turntables, the mood was set early with excellent music and excited residents filling up the facility. Jay Electronica opened up the event with a 30 minute set which included familiar hits like his latest release Ghost of Christopher Wallace, as well as some unfamiliar acapella bars that wowed the crowd with his intensity and lyricism.
(Photo by Sheyla Padilla)
Yelawolf hit the stage next and continued the rawness and intensity that Jay Electronica left off with while performing some well-known hits such as Pop The Trunk. Yelawolf performed with so much energy that I could not find one single person that wasn’t bouncing to the flow and style that Yelawolf brought.
(Photo by Sheyla Padilla)
After a short intermission with 9th scratching up the records, Big Boi performed for the home crowd with a variety of instantly recognizable song selections. From Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik to his latest single Shutterbug, there wasn’t a popular song that Big left out. However, it was when Big Boi performed Kryponite with a crowd of hundreds throwing up their “A’s” in the air, that I realized how happy I was to be part of an amazing event and be an ATLien for the night.
Written by JRTheWriter on 06/1/10
You Might Like...
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.