Behind the Booth: 5 Questions with Lil’ C (aka C Gutta)
New York, NY -- Last week, we went Behind the Booth with Chris Le, a graphic/web designer who's lent his artistic talent to countless big names seeking a stronger online presence. For the fifth entry in our ongoing series, we've posed the same five questions to Grand Hustle in-house producer and C Beatz Publishing head honcho Lil' C. Also known as C Gutta, the producer's first big break came in '06, when his work on Young Jeezy's "My Hood" caught the eye of Grand Hustle co-owner Jason Geter, who shortly after invited him to join the label family. Since then, C has worked closely with such high-profile acts as T.I. ("Porn Star," "You Ain't Fly"), Young Dro ("Shoulder Lean"), 8Ball & MJG ("Boo"), and more. In this exclusive interview, Lil' C gives readers the inside scoop on the connections the helped him build his career early on, and drops a few details on his most exciting current projects.
What was your first job in the music industry?
I started producing from the get go. At fifteen, I was working in a studio that was housed under Hot 97.6 in Jackson, Mississippi, which is how I got a lot of my connects early on.
What is your proudest achievement?
When Young Dro's debut single, “Shoulder Lean,” hit #1 on the Billboard charts.
What projects are you currently working on?
I am working on T.I.’s next album, the 8Ball & MJG Grand Hustle debut, as well as Kia Shine, Fantasia, Juice, and The Game.
How can the music industry prosper long term?
If artists and producers [don't] continuously make good music, the industry won’t go anywhere. The product has to be quality.
What are your goals for 2009?
To stay relevant and stay consistent on the charts. I would like to keep pumping out good music and ultimately make it back to that #1 spot.
Written by richard on 04/3/09
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.