You Really Need to Watch the ATCQ Documentary “Beat, Rhymes & Life”
For the past two months Hip-Hop Nation has heard about Michael Rappaport's upcoming A Tribe Called Quest documentary, Beats, Rhymes & Life, primarily in relation to the struggle between Rappaport and some members of Tribe. Thankfully the movie's now out and fans can shift their attention away from the drama and towards one of the better hip-hop documentaries in recent years.
One of the benefits of living in L.A., besides the immaculate weather, are the constant film screenings and I was lucky enough to sneak into a Beats, Rhymes & Life preview at West Hollywood club Voyeur. While, like most of the people in attendance, I began watching watching with an eye towards potential areas of conflict, as someone who's literally memorized every word of Low End Theory, I was quickly immersed in rare footage and commentary from Common, the Beastie Boys, De La Soul, ?uestlove and more. Throw in some incredible drinks courtesy of Jose Cuervo Platino, a question and answer session with Rappaport himself and it was truly a historic night. (Though a relatively mild one for Voyeur. My fellow Angelenos know what I'm talking about.)
Simply put, if you care about A Tribe Called Quest, and hip-hop, make every effort to track down Beats, Rhymes & Life. Those living in L.A. and NYC can get moving right now, the rest of the country will have to simply wait, or check out more info here.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/13/11
You Might Like...
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.