Anthony Hamilton Sips Some Southern Comfort
NEW YORK, NY -- With the release of Southern Comfort, the Hamilton tradition - born of his Southern roots and the pathway created by soul greats such as Bill Withers, Bobby Womack, Al Green and Marvin Gaye - continues. Recorded before Anthony Hamilton received critical acclaim and reached multi-platinum status with his astonishing solo album, Comin' From Where I'm From, Southern Comfort echoes his early days when there was only the music and a dream. This album combines all of his musical influences, which include his unique gospel roots, southern funk and gritty soul stylings.
Uncovered from the deepest vaults, Southern Comfort contains previously recorded and unreleased Anthony Hamilton material. Working closely with 3 producers (Fanatic, Doug Coleman and Ced Solo), he created songs that flow with an honesty and rawness rarely found in contemporary R&B. The deeper material on the album gives evidence that Southern Comfort is his most prolific project exploding with biting, social commentary. Similar to Marvin Gaye's groundbreaking What's Going On, Anthony is clearly making a musical stand. Simply listen to "They Don't Know Me," where Anthony sings of the plight facing many men in today's society, being unfairly scrutinized and fighting daily battles of prejudice and injustice. Or "Don't Say what You Won't Do," where he speaks directly to the apathetic members of society. There are also songs that are more on the emotional side shining with his genuine lyrics like "Trouble," his ode to real Fathers and the ultra smooth "Magnolia's Room," that finds Anthony lamenting a lost love and yearning for the woman that could no longer wait for her man to become successful. Anthony has always been the real deal and with the release of Southern Comfort, he blesses us with more music from one of the greatest singer/songwriters of our time.
Written by DJ Z on 04/3/07
You Might Like...
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.