Akon Scores Big Hit With New Single “Smack That”
"Konvicted" IN STORES NOVEMBER 21
New York, NY -- Multi-platinum selling singer/songwriter/producer Akon scores big with his new single, “Smack That,” featuring Eminem with the #1 Most Added song at Rhythmic and Crossover this week at radio. In addition to the #1 status, on Akon’s myspace page (myspace.com/akon), “Smack That” has been listened to over 1 million times in just two weeks. His sophomore release, Konvicted, is set to be in stores on November 21.
Konvicted, almost entirely produced by Akon, features guest appearances by aforementioned Eminem (Em produced “Smack That”), Akon’s artist T- Pain, Snoop Dogg and Styles P.
Akon scored unprecedented success, both here and abroad, with his multi-format smash hit singles “Locked Up” and “Lonely” off of his multi-platinum debut release of Trouble in 2004. “Lonely” stayed on the Billboard “Hot 100” chart for 3 months and was the #1 song in the UK along with his album (it also scored well in territories as diverse as Japan and Australia). “Locked Up” was a Top 5 single throughout the world.
The talented singer/songwriter/producer established himself as the premiere production and writing wizard over the past couple of years. He has produced, written, and/or appeared on hit songs for Young Jeezy (“Soul Survivor” was also written by Akon), Elton John, R. Kelly, Gwen Stefani, Beenie Man and T- Pain.
With the success of a multi-platinum record under his belt and with his artist T-Pain on Jive Records, Akon recently secured a label deal through Interscope Records called Konlive Records where one of his acts will include Chilli from super girl group, TLC. His 1st release on Konlive is due early 2007.
Not one to put all of his eggs in the music basket, the Senegalese-born star, has also established a diamond supply and mining company called Aliaune that supplies diamonds to dealers across the world. He is also working on his clothing line as well as a movie project based on his own inspirational story.
Written by DJ Z on 09/15/06
You Might Like...
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.